Arranging Funding for Legal Services

When you need to find a direct access lawyer, one of the main concerns is how to fund legal advice and representation.  People are often worried over running up large legal costs and, if you have not had dealings with courts or legal processes in the past, you may have no idea of how much the charges are likely to be.

However, it is important to have proper representation to put your case properly and achieve the best outcome. Whether you are facing a consumer or business dispute, a motoring charge or a case related to your home, such as a negligence claim, it is essential to have someone at your side who has expert knowledge.

Marcus Croskell has expertise in all these areas of the law.  As a direct access barrister based locally in Ipswich and working with clients in Suffolk, Norfolk, across East Anglia and further afield, can advise you on your case and represent you both in and out of court. At an initial consultation he will also discuss the costs with you and how to fund them – often insurance may be an option here.

Funding via Insurance

Fortunately, in many cases, it is possible to fund legal services via insurance policies. You may not even realise that your household or motoring insurance includes a Legal Expenses Insurance (LEI) section.  These are often sold as an extra for small additional charge on policy but may also be included as standard.

If you are claiming on these policies, it is essential to go about it in the right way.  You need to follow correct procedure and keep insurer fully informed. Also amounts covered for each claim can vary depending on insurer. Marcus Croskell often provides on behalf of individual and business clients formal written advices to the insurer to trigger funding including on the prospects of a success of the client’s case, whether the client will plead guilty, or not guilty or the prospect of settlement in a civil case.

Household Insurance LEI

LEI is often a bolt on to the actual insurance policy for your home or business.  It will have a different regime and you may only cover you for certain types of claim or personal  problems.

A household policy insurance bolt-on is likely to cover:

  •  Proceedings connected to your home
  • Personal injury, such as if you are injured in a fall (uneven pavement etc) and want to try to get compensation
  • Consumer disputes over goods and services.

Motoring LEI

If an insurance policy is associated with your vehicle, then it is most likely it will be limited to recovering uninsurred losses connected with your vehicle or road traffic offences.  It is a useful tool to have as it goes far beyond standard motoring insurance for damage etc.  Policies for motoring offences only pay out if insurer thinks you are reasonably likely to succeed in fighting the charge, so helpful if your lawyer advises them over this.

If you are having to deal with the law and a court case it is very worrying time and it adds to the strain if you are not sure how you can fund a case. However, it is well worth checking if you have a policy bolted on to your household or motoring insurance which will cover you. 

Marcus Croskell is an expert barrister specialising for over a decade in road traffic offences and one of the first things he will often ask is about opportunities for funding to avoid clients having to pay from their own pockets.  If you need advice and assistance with your legal problem, then do not hesitate to contact him by EMAIL HERE or on 0843 886 2603.